As social media grows more popular, businesses are looking for ways to effectively leverage it to reach new customers and their target audience.
One increasingly popular way to do this is through using influencers to generate leads, a type of social media advertising.
However, working with social media influencers can be a tricky territory to navigate.
In this blog, we will discuss what social media influencers are and how to get the most out of them for your social media marketing strategies.
Table of Contents:
- What are social media influencers?
- Why should you use them for your marketing campaigns?
- How to identify the right social media influencers for your business
- How to contact social media influencers and negotiate a deal
- Tips for creating effective social media marketing campaigns with influencers
- Examples of successful influencer marketing success
1. What Are Social Media Influencers?
A social media influencer is an individual who has the power to influence purchase decisions of other people in regards to products or services.
If you are not too familiar with the concept of influencers, think of celebrity endorsements. Brands pay good money for certain celebrities to wear or promote their products.
Influencer marketing is essentially the same but extends to social media stars with large followings.
Social media influencers have a very high level of engagement with their audience and large followings across multiple social media channels such as Instagram and YouTube through successful content creation.
2. Why Should You Use Social Media Influencers For Your Marketing Campaigns?
Some social media influencer marketing statistics to consider:
- 92%of consumers trust recommendations from friends and family more than any other form of marketing
- 83% of women trust online opinions as much as their friends’ opinions
- 49% of marketing teams rely on social media influencers as their primary method for marketing content
The statistics sound pretty promising and proves the success of influencer marketing for social media campaigns.
Next, we will discuss the specific reasons and benefits of using social media influencers:
- Brand Awareness: marketing campaigns using influencers can increase brand awareness. Simple mentions to recommendations can help get your brand’s name out there.
- Credibility: social media influencers work via “word-of-mouth”: Customers are more likely to buy or trust a product or brand that an influencer mentions or recommends, adding credibility to your brand.
- Relatability: Because of their high level of engagement, social media influencers make users feel like they are talking directly with someone who is relatable to them rather than cold traditional marketing strategies. This will help demystify your brand and bring it to a closer level to potential customers.
- Niche Marketing: Social media influencer marketing allows you to target very specific individuals (niche market). If your influencer attracts a certain demographic in terms of age or interest etc., it can be extremely helpful to you targeting this niche with little effort as your influencer has already done this for you.
- Easy Communication: The marketing team can always be reached by the marketing influencer, thus making communications easier and more efficient for both parties.
3. How To Identify The Right Social Media Influencers For Your Business
Identifying which influencers to partner with for your marketing campaign can be tricky. It is important to identify influencers who share a brand image that aligns closely with yours.
Here are some factors here you should take into account when selecting who to help boost your campaign.
Consider the following factors when choosing a social media influencer:
- Does the influencer align with your brand/services?
- Is the platform they are based on going to be beneficial for you?
- What is your budget?
What your budget is will also determine what type of influencer you can afford in your social media marketing campaign. This branches into 3 main levels according to their follower count.
Types of Influencers in terms of follower count:
There are three types of social media influencers – the macro influencers, mid-level influencers and micro-influencers.
- Micro Influencers: These are social media users with a following of between 1,000 and 10,000 people. They usually have engaged audiences who are more likely to support their recommendations. Their marketing campaigns tend to be more cost-effective than macro or mid-level influencers.
- Mid-Level Influencers: Social media users with a following of between 10,000 and 1 million people are known as mid-level influencers. They often have a more engaged following than macro-influencers and are therefore more likely to convert followers into customers.
- Macro Influencers: These are social media users with a following of over 1 million people and they usually have a very wide reach. Due to their large reach, they often command high fees for their endorsements.
In most cases, bigger companies with bigger budgets will aim for macro influencers and smaller companies will go for micro influencers. Different brands will have different budgets for their influencer campaigns.
Although there has been a shift in what perceptions of micro influencers are and how they could be more beneficial than macro influencers.
Ultimately, the best approach is to identify influencers that are relevant to your brand image or message regardless of their following size.
4. How To Contact Social Media Influencers And Negotiate A Deal
Once you have identified the right social media influencer for your brand or campaign – it’s time to contact them. This is also known as “influencer outreach”.
Making the first contact with social media influencers can be a daunting task but there are some tips here to follow when making the initial contact.
The key 3 steps in contacting social media influencers
- Find the right contact information: Most social media influencers have an online form or email address on their website where you can contact them. Some are managed by managers so it will be helpful to find their details too if you can.
- Keep your pitch short and sweet: Social media influencers are busy people. Explain what services or products you provide and what you would like them to do for you.
- Make it worth their time: Offer something of value to the social media influencer in return for their help. This could be a free product or service, payment, or another type of compensation.
Make sure to pitch your brand, product and services to build credibility for yourself. Influencers will be less likely to click and open message requests with no details or link to the brand website or emails with improper headings etc.
The more information you can give without losing the main focus of the message, the better. You can always do a follow-up message later if no reply has been received.
5. Tips For Creating Effective Social Media Marketing Campaigns With Influencers
Once you’ve contacted the social media influencer and they have agreed to work with you, it’s time to make the most of your marketing campaign.
Here are 4 tips to make your influencer marketing campaign more effective
1.) Ensuring marketing goals align: The most important thing that must be aligned between the social media influencer and your brand is the marketing goals of the campaign.
Without this, it will be difficult for both parties to understand what needs to happen next for both parties to achieve their goals successfully.
Goals could include increasing followers or social engagement, increasing brand awareness, or building trust in your product/service amongst other marketing goals.
2.) Be clear on the desired outcome: Once marketing goals have been developed and agreed upon, it is critical that social media influencers understand what marketing success looks like for your brand/campaign.
Understanding marketing metrics such as reach, engagement rates, and likes will be important. These should all tie into the marketing goals defined earlier.
3.) Understand and strategise marketing mediums: Social media influencers tend to use multiple social media platforms, but they typically do so in different ways.
Make sure you understand how the social media influencer works across marketing channels and what types of posts they are most likely to create for your brand/campaign.
For example, if your company sells skateboards, perhaps videos would promote them best on Youtube or Instagram Reels rather than static images on Twitter.
4.) Measure marketing success: This will be an ongoing process throughout the campaign, but it is still important to set up marketing metrics before you begin.
You can start this by providing insights into your company’s marketing goals and key performance indicators (KPIs).
Measuring marketing success will not only allow you to improve upon marketing efforts for future campaigns but will also show both parties that their marketing goals have been met or exceeded.
6. Examples Of Successful Influencer Marketing Success
A different brand will have a different social media marketing plan from yours, however, here are some success stories that may help inspire you to incorporate influencers into your next social media marketing strategy.
Motorola recognized that social media influencers had a wide audience reach, so they decided to use them as part of an influencer marketing campaign on YouTube to promote their new launch.
The promotional videos made by the social media influencers have received 11.6 million views in total, driving 122,000 clicks to the Moto Mods website.
Casetify started in Hong Kong in 2011, tapping into the customisable phone case market. What propelled them to viral fame was their engagement with social media influencers to promote their customised phone cases.
By partnering up with these influencers or artists, they were able to deliver custom cases made with their core messages of individualism and self-expression.
In social media posts, influencers show off their personalised phone cases, which helped continue the social media narrative of Casetify’s branding.
Today, Casetify is one of the top accessory brands in the world.
Social media influencer marketing is a great way to connect with your target audience and create awareness for your brand.
It’s also an effective strategy for increasing customer conversion rates through word-of-mouth advertising.
By identifying the right social media influencers for your business and implementing a social media strategy that benefits both parties, you’re bound to create a great outreach to a wider audience and possibly generate more traffic to both your site and to your influencer’s social media.
And if it’s a successful campaign, you’ve just generated a whole load of traffic, interest or sales to your brand, plus an influencer connection that you can maintain and keep going back to for future social media campaigns.
So what do you think of using influencers for your social media campaigns?
Let us know below!
Read more of our blogs here: